SC - payn ragoun

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Jan 30 18:32:53 PST 1999

david friedman wrote:

> >Is the powder thing a fault of mine, do you think, or an aspect of
> >the dish itself?  I boiled the syrup until it hung together, ie.
> >until a ball dropped into water retained its shape but was softish.
>
> My guess is that it is a result of using sugar instead of honey, but I
> haven't tried it. In making hulwa, if I use sugar I get a brittle candy
> (roughly divinity), if I use honey it comes out soft and squishy. I have
> never yet succeeded in cooking honey down to a point where that doesn't
> happen, and suspect it can't be done.

Honey is a mixture of sugars (presumably fructose and some more complex
related molecules [dextrose? I forget] ) and some of the simple sugars
are probably invert sugar molecules that are resistant to
crystalization. Modern candymakers often use glucose mixed with regular
sucrose to keep it from getting too brittle, honey seems to do the same thing.

You might experiment with different proportions.

Adamantius
Østgardr, East
- --
Phil & Susan Troy