SC - payn ragoun

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sun Jan 31 10:12:57 PST 1999

In a message dated 1/31/99 12:59:21 PM Eastern Standard Time,
snowfire at mail.snet.net writes:

<< Thus the word "thriddendele" becomes (pine nuts)
 "rendered into thirds".

 An outside chance, but I thought I'd mention it! >>

Personally I think this interpretation is highly unlikely since the word is
not used in that way in any other texts, SFAIK. Also there are no references
in any literature that I have available that would suggest that pinenuts were
rendered in to 3 pieces in anyother dish. Given the quantity of dishes to be
prepared for even a small get together of nobility , it also in improbable
that a kitchen servant would be set to the long task of cutting each pinepine
in 3 individual parts especially the large amount of pine nuts that would be
needed. Even a small manor house would have easily had a total of 20 people
living and working , including servants you can appreciate the logistics of
preparing this dish.

While you idea is certainly worthy of entertaining, IMO the previous redaction
which translates this term as 'a third part' is most like the more accurate
one.

Ras