SC - Bread

Fri Jan 1 10:26:12 PST 1999

> >I discovered late last night that there is a Roman treatise on baking,
> which
> >presumably gives recipes for 60 different kinds of bread.  If I can find
> >copy, it will give me a pre-period reference to compare with period and
> >post-period references.
> >

> Anyway, I would LOVE to hear of a Roman treatise on baking. The set of
> Apician recipes has nothing on bread or cakes. Any pointers to this tome
> would have me jumping with joy for weeks, and have a general feeling of
> well-being throughout the year.
>
> Please, please, please tell us more!! The Wine, Dine and Recline Society
> (aka Sydney Ancients Society)will be forever in your debt.
>
> Glenda.

Rereading the paragraph from Toussaint-Samat's History of Food when I am not
seeing double from fatigue, I find that the recipes may not be in the
treatise.  As a direct quote:

"Some 50 recipes are known, although Chrysippus of Tyana, in a treatise on
bread making, lists another 30 kinds without further description.  The fact
that this list is included in the treatise shows that baker's did not
confine themselves to making bread."

You now know the extent of my knowledge about the treatise.  I hope to be
able to improve on it soon.

Since you have an interest in Roman cooking, you might look into Ilaria
Gozzini Giacosa, A Taste of Ancient Rome, University of Chicago Press,
(published in both the US and the UK).  The main source is Apicius, but it
has recipes from other sources.

Cato and Atheanaeus are supposed to have commented on Roman baking.

On a slightly different note, Toussaint-Samat's History of Food is available
in hardcover from Barnes and Noble at $19.95.  That is less than the price
of the softcover edition.

Bear