SC - Gulf Wars

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Fri Jan 1 18:12:24 PST 1999

Mahanna asked:
> I am exiting my usual lurker mode to ask for some guidance.  My
> household plans on attending Gulf Wars and I have been asked to
> coordinate meals for the group ( roughly about 10-15 people) ...  I
> would like some assistance in gaining a clue about the whole planning
> process for this.  This will be my first major event like this one after
> not getting to go to PENNSIC.  Are there any major clues/hints/tips that
> I should heed?  Anyone going to be at Gulf Wars?
> Would love to meet some of you and bask in your knowledge =) !

Greetings Mahanna,

My wife (Alina) and myself plan to be at Gulf Wars. We have missed only
the second one, although the increasing size is making them less and less
friendly to those not camping with a big group.

You might find some of the files in the FEASTS section of my Florilegium
files to be useful to you. For instance, take a look at this file:

headcooks-msg     (83K) 12/11/98    Advice for SCA headcooks. Planning feasts.

Or these in the FOOD section:
campfood-msg      (50K)  2/24/97    Non-refrig., period food for camping events.
cook-ovr-fire-msg (33K)  8/21/98    Cooking over open fires. Outdoor feasts.
food-storage-msg  (91K)  4/ 9/98    Storing and preserving food in period. Non-
                                      refrigerated food for camping and Pennsic.
stews-bruets-msg  (35K)  5/20/98    Period stews and bruets. Recipes.

And if you are real ambitious:
whole-pig-msg     (19K) 11/ 2/98    Info. on roasting a whole pig. Experiences.

If this is your first big SCA camping event, you might find this file in
the PENNSIC section useful, even if the article was written with Pennsic and
Estrella in mind:

BP-Thingie-art    (38K)  9/30/94    Bart's Pennsic guidebook w. Estrella addm.

And these in the SCA-CAMPING section:

camp-kitchens-msg (11K) 10/30/98    Camp kitchen ideas for SCA use.
camp-showers-msg  (10K)  9/21/98    Camp shower ideas for outside SCA events.
camping-ideas-msg (36K)  4/18/96    Useful tips and ideas for SCA camping.
ticks-art          (9K)  1/24/92    Article on tick prevention.

I would be interested in having an SCA-Cooks get-together similar to the
one we had at Pennsic at Gulf Wars since there are many of you I haven't had
the pleasure of meeting yet.

Stefan
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at:
          http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html ****