SC - Bread

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Jan 4 10:57:38 PST 1999

Margo Hablutzel wrote:

> I do not have primary source, but the
> one I read said the receipt originally was in the notebooks of a
> late-16th-Century Italian nun, Maria Teresa Somethingorother (it's not
> here).  The name of the item is "Drowned Chiambelle" (sp may be off) and
> they really are like miniature bagels seasoned with anise.  Quite yummy, and
> not sweet.

Drowned Chiambelles? Drowned Chiambelles??? Chugga Chugga Click-CLACK!!!

Whoop! Whoop! Whoop!

These are jumbles! Of course, looking for them on demand, as it were
(and while in a rush) I can't find a single reference to them, but
they're a sort of hard biscuit [cookie], commonly shaped into rings,
knots, or letters of the alphabet, and often flavored with anise. At
least one jumble recipe (spelling varies from source to source as
iamboles, iombles, jumbles, etc.) calls for them to be poached until
"done", probably until they float, but I don't remember for sure, and
then baked in an oven until dry and hard.

There are numerous extent seventeenth-century and later English recipes
for jumbles, and I'm pretty sure there are some earlier ones out there
too, possibly as early as the fifteenth or sixteenth centuries, if I'm
not mistaken. I'm thinking of one in particular which specifies it is
"to make jumbles an hundred".

Maybe I'll get a chance to look deeper into this when I get home tonight.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com