SC - Next Pennsic-OT-OOP-IMPORTANT

Laura C Minnick lainie at gladstone.uoregon.edu
Mon Jan 4 18:15:16 PST 1999

On Mon, 4 Jan 1999, Decker, Terry D. wrote:

> To my eye, it looks like a sloppy piece of bureaucratic writing.  It is
> confusing and unless read carefully, it creates the wrong impression.
>
> I don't think the author is being intentionally duplicitous, but he is
> mixing Corpora with seneschallate interpretation without clearly defining
> the boundaries.  His comments could be misinterpreted as a sanctioned open
> season on "those objectionable people over there.  Applied improperly, these
> rules could exacerbate the problems they are supposed to address.

I quite agree. However, it needent be that way. having a friend (or foe,
for that matter) read over a document before sending it out is a very good
idea. Let them play Devil's Advocate and point out anything that might be
read wrong. I also highly recommend _Writing With Precision: How to Write
So That You Cannot Possibly Be Misunderstood_, by Jefferson D. Bates. It
helped me greatly in my days as a Pointy-Haired Boss, and not a whit now
in the English Department, where obfuscation is the rule of the day.
S*I*G*H.

'Lainie

Laura C. Minnick
University of Oregon
Department of English
- -
"Libraries have been the death of many great men, particularly the
Bodleian."
	Humfrey Wanley, c. 1731