SC - Bread

Tue Jan 5 07:21:35 PST 1999

> when I was in the middle of
> it I realized that that I had used 1 cup water instead of the 1/4 cup it
> should have been so instead of 1 cup milk I used 1/4 cup.  Well the
> question is I know the amount of liquid total was correct but would the
> reversal ( ie boo boo) I made affect the overall taste/ consistency?
> The bread is great but I am curious if correcting the boo boo would make
> it better?  Is it six of one and half a dozen of the other?  Or does the
> original have 1 cp milk 1/4 water ratio for a reason?
>
> Morwenna

The total amount of liquid determines how much flour can be used.  It is
normally 2 to 4 cups of flour to each cup of liquid, depending on how dry
the flour is and how stiff you want the dough.

Milk enriches the dough by adding proteins, fats, and lactose.  Milk
enriched bread usually has a softer, more delicate crumb and a richer taste.
The proteins improve the crumb.  The fats and lactose improve the taste.

Correcting your error would improve the bread, but the change will probably
go unnoticed.

One other thing, enriched breads have a shorter storage life than plain
breads and they are more susceptible to molds.  This is normally not a
problem in the presence of the average ravening horde.

Bear