SC - Polenta

Tue Jan 5 08:03:34 PST 1999

> The polenta that I am referring to is from Platina.  The ingredients are
> cheese, eggs, sugar, and a little bit of breadcrumbs or barley (for a
> binder).  It is basically a cheesecake.
>
> Avelina Keyes
> East Kingdom

To Apicius and Pliny, polenta was cooked cereal meal (the recipes are for
wheat and barley respectively).  Modern polenta is cooked cornmeal (what my
Ohio family calls cornmeal mush, cooked and served in an Apician manner).

Perhaps Platina's polenta is his modern redaction of the Apician recipe.

Bear