SC - Re: Can Someone Explain This?

Gedney, Jeffrey gedje01 at mail.cai.com
Tue Jan 5 13:51:39 PST 1999

> Hello!  The url is http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/food.html
> I have several pictures of bakers with peels, some of which are posted on
> Greg's site.  I'll refer to them here by their file names so you'll know
> which ones I mean - not all of these are posted on Greg's site. If you
> want
> copies, email me.
	<snip>

> My dictionary says the word 'peel' comes into ME from MF from the Latin
> 'pala', meaning shovel.

Thanks Again!!

They do resemble Shovels more than the currently available Peels, don't
they.
the one from "Il Cuoco Segreto Di Papa Pio V " leaning against the wall in
the "large kitchen"
and the one from "Assize of bread" look for all the world like flat shovels,
and the one from the Street bakers looks like the coal shovel I have in the
garage right now!
Well, In light of this info, how about some theories on what the original
meant?

I have some thoughts, but I'll wait to try them out at home first...

brandu