SC - Re: Limes

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Thu Jan 7 18:33:55 PST 1999

In a message dated 1/7/99 12:54:39 PM Eastern Standard Time, grasse at mscd.edu
writes:

<< I believe the main branch of the local library has some middle
 German reference books, and I will endeavor to visit them soon.

 Gwen-Cat
 Caerthe

Nice job. ;-) I lost the original post so I am not sure what year your
original source was. Is it 1588 C.E.? If so then this is well outside medieval
cooking but certainly falls in line with period cooking as defined by the
SCA.. Also at such a late date it would have been very plausible that lemons
and limes would have been meant in the recipe descriptions you provide.

Sometimes I tend to forget or even dismiss early modern cookery without
thinking since it is not really an area of interest too me. Sorry. I'm working
on getting better at it. :-) Anyway the introduction of the lime by Spain
would have concievably been about 400 years earlier. A span of time equal to
that which seperates modern times from 16th century Germany. A lot could have
and did happen between the 1100's and 1500's. It was not until 1492 C.E. that
the Moors were driven from Andelusia (Spain)..  The introduction of the lime
to Spain was merely a matter of the Arabs bringing it from their homeland.
Simple and direct. :-)

Ras