SC - Tech info re Biscuits - OOP

Mordonna22 at aol.com Mordonna22 at aol.com
Fri Jan 8 17:23:55 PST 1999

In a message dated 1/7/99 8:58:12 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
sheltons at conterra.com writes:

>  She uses her grandmother's
>  biscuit recipe to illustrate the benefit of low-protein flour.
>
>  She uses White Lily flour, a popular Southern brand, which has 9 grams
>  of protein per cup.  By comparison, Pillsbury and Gold Medal have 12
>  grams per cup.  The more protein, the more glutens formed and hardened
>  during baking.  With fewer glutens formed using White Lily, the biscuits
>  come out lighter and fluffier.  So, part of the reason our biscuits are
>  the delicacies they are may be due to the fact we're using lower-protein
>  flour.

Thank you, you've just cleared up a mystery.  When I moved to Arizona, my
biscuits got tougher.
Another "secret" to homemade biscuits is to use fresh lard (or solid vegetable
shortening in a pinch.)  Butter, vegetable oils, and margarines have air and
water mixed in with them so you get more solids per weight of solid shortening
than you do with the others.

Mordonna
Atenveldt
Atenveldt