SC - Re: Eat well, well to do?

snowfire at mail.snet.net snowfire at mail.snet.net
Sat Jan 9 21:58:17 PST 1999

- -Poster: Jean Holtom <Snowfire at mail.snet.net>

>> I remember reading in the newspaper recently that the health authorities
>> in the United Kingdom were trying (with only limited success) to get the
>> Scots to eat more vegetables.

How are they going to do that then?

I'd like to know what the Scots said when this was announced!;)
(If it's printable) <broad grin>

>I met two delightful ladies from England while on a cruise in Dec who told me an
>incredible thing.  They said that while their American husbands hunt deer, and
>they prepare the venison for their families to eat, they don't eat it themselves.
>They never aquired a taste for it because in England only the royal family may eat
>deer.  Anyone know if this is true or if they were just pulling my leg?  They
>sounded very sincere about it.

I don't know about that.  I was talking to my mother a few weeks ago about venison.
She's eaten it over there and said that you can buy it in Britain but it's very
expensive because it's not that available.  Also a lot of people in my generation
in Britain are vegetarian or don't eat much outside of beef, pork and chicken
(organ meat sometimes).  (I include myself in that group too).  Maybe the two
ladies just never really checked into the topic well.

It is certainly alien to us to hunt deer as you do over here.  It takes a bit of
getting used to when you hear about it here, but I understand that there is an
overpopulation of deer in the U.S., so culling is necessary?

BTW There are still Royal Deer in Britain.  Deer that live on the Queen's property.
I took a picture of some of them one time in Oxford.

Elysant