SC - Interkingdom Anthropology??

Mary Morman memorman at oldcolo.com
Wed Jan 13 10:01:29 PST 1999

On Tue, 12 Jan 1999, Elise Fleming wrote:

> This is meant as an observation only, not a judgment or anything
> negative... Each kingdom does things differently!

Oh brave Dame Alys!  What a good subject, but one I might have been
hesitant to raise.

Seems to me that many early cooking Laurels were given simply for cooking
feasts that tasted good.  No detraction, that's an enormous amount of hard
work, as we all know.  Then I began to see more cooking Laurels for
research and redaction.  Now we might have cooking Laurels who cannot for
the life of them manage and cook a large feast, but do wonderful work with
period sources and individual dishes.  Others might do large feasts
regularly, but with emphasis on edibility not historicity.  As the two
sides come somewhat together, we find feasts that serve blatantly
non-period foods less common.

A third area might be the cooking Pelican.  Some kingdoms tend to see
cooking as a service area not as an arts area and give Pelicans where
others would give Laurels.

My two cents,
Elaina