SC - Period Chili

Wed Jan 13 10:59:10 PST 1999

> << Trager places the introduction of paprika into Hungary as 1529 when the
>  Turks first took Buda. >>
>
> What part of the date is open to questions, when the Turks took Buda or
> when
> they introduced paprika?
>
> Noemi

The introduction of paprika is the questionable aspect.  This particular
entry is from The Food Chronology, which is a useful timelime, but which is
not fully indexed, has some errors of fact, does not properly differentiate
between the factual and the apocryphal, and provides no bibliography of
sources.  I use The Food Chronology to locate temporal relationships in food
and cooking, but unless I have or can locate other sources, I consider the
information I find there questionable.

As for the capture of Buda, it was taken by the Turks in 1529, appears to
have been lost or ceded following the first siege of Vienna in 1529, and
retaken in 1541.  It was liberated in 1683 after the second siege of Vienna.
Which is about all the information and mis-information I have on the
subject.

Bear