SC - Period Chili

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Thu Jan 14 13:50:33 PST 1999

In a message dated 1/14/99 1:58:49 PM Eastern Standard Time,
pndarvis at execpc.com writes:

<< does anyone have a list of the other capsicum peppers?  or if it is in
Stefan's
 files?  and which are period? >>

Like tomatoes , it is uncertain what capsicum varieties were first grown. Most
likely, IMO, it was the varieties that we normally think of as 'Thai' peppers
since these were rapidly adopted in the Far East. So rapidly in fact, that
Linnaeus lists Calcutta as the 'origin' of capsicums. :-0 Cayenne and paprika
being exceptions. Sweet green/red bell peppers were introduced in the 1700's.

On a side note, the first tomatoes were what we now would call cherry
tomatoes. Interestingly white tomatoes may have been used as an ornamental
plant by the Elizabethans but since this info is from my 20+ plus year old
page of notes that mentions the USDA Ag. Yearbook as . the source of info,
exact reference will have to wait until and if I find the book.