SC - Murri

Acanthusbk at aol.com Acanthusbk at aol.com
Fri Jan 15 07:57:21 PST 1999

In a message dated 1/14/99 10:17:00 PM Central Standard Time,
Mordonna22 at aol.com writes:

> In a message dated 1/14/99 6:00:31 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
>  LrdRas at aol.com writes:
>
>  >
>  >  I made the Byzantine Murri but I did include Barley in my seed order so
>  >  could try the original in the fall. :-)
>  >

>  Do let us know how it turns out.  I'm not sure I would be brave enough to
> try
>  it.  The recipes I have seen seem to me to be a sure breeding ground for
> ergot
>  or one of it's cousins.

Just last week I reread an interesting paper, _Medieval Near Eastern Rotted
Condiments_ by Charles Perry, about kamakh, murri and bunn. Bottom
line...Perry says when prepared in the traditional manner involving rotted
grain and bread "it is strongly advised not to eat any of these preparations.
They are highly carcinogenic." Further discussion follows re rotted grains
being rich in aflatoxins, considered among the most virulent carcinogens
known. This article appears in the 1987 Oxford Symposium Proceedings
("Taste"), as well as in part (recipes excluded) in Paul Levy's _Penguin Book
of Food and Drink_.

Amanda