SC - Who Were Those Guys?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Jan 15 11:37:36 PST 1999

THLRenata at aol.com wrote:

> Does anyone have any biographical data on Sabina Welserin, John Murrell,
> Thomas Dawson, Sir Hugh Plat and the countless less others I'm forgetting?

See Eric Quayle's "Old Cook Books: An Illustrated History" © 1978 Eric
Quayle, Pub. E.P. Dutton, NewYork
ISBN: 0-87690-283-2 for a chapter on Hugh Plat. There may be other
useful information for you in this book.

As for Le Menagier, I was under the impression we really had little
proof one way or t'other as to who he was, let alone any biographical
details. There's been some speculation, based on some tantalizing
textual references, that he was of the emergent middle class, well-to-do
but not really noble, possibly a clerk of some kind.

Adamantius
Østgardr, East
- --
Phil & Susan Troy