SC - What Ergot eats

Rebecca Abbott r.abbott at home.com
Fri Jan 15 15:00:09 PST 1999

Webster's Unabridged says it grows on rye and other cereal grains, but not
which other grains.

There was a _very_ famous out break of ergotism in southern France in the
late '50s or early '60s when an entire town got poisoned from eating bread
baked from ergot infected flour.  Basically, a lot of them hallucinated (the
active chemical component in ergot is lysergic acid used to make LSD) and
did things like jump into the river and out of windows.  There's a book
about it - The Day of St. Anthony's Fire by (I believe) John Fuller.  It was
a big cult hit in the '60s when a lot of people were looking for that
tainted bread......

Rebecca of Twywn
Gwasanaethu yn dawel