SC - Corned meat

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Sat Jan 16 18:06:44 PST 1999

- -----Original Message-----
From: Philip & Susan Troy <troy at asan.com>
To: sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG <sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG>
Date: 16. janúar 1999 03:45
Subject: Re: SC - Corned meat

snowfire at mail.snet.net wrote:

> I wonder if anyone has heard of any other cultures with this type of
> traditional "mashed up together" combination dish?

Sorry, I forgot to mention:

English (as well as other countries') sailors used to eat a rather
widely despised dish called, if I remember it correctly, lobscouse,
which was a sort of hash of potatoes or ship's biscuit, added to salt
meat boiled to rags, and cooked until the liquid was absorbed. I'd have
to check on details, but that's my recollection of it.

Well, there´s this recipe, from the first Icelandic cookbook ever published
(written in 1784; this is actually from a recipe for Sheep´s head with lung
mash):

"... They should then be eaten with browned butter,
and, if wished, some lung mash, made of boiled lamb´s lungs, heart and a
small piece of liver. This is chopped very finely on a board, then put into
a pan with some fresh milk or cream, a knob of butter, a pinch of ground
ginger, chopped parsley, and a few currants; when this mash comes to the
boil, it is thickened with some wheat flour, and seasoned with a pinch of
sugar. The cream can be replaced with some meat broth, mixed with wine
vinegar and sugar."

There´s also a recipe for plokkfiskur, boiled fish mashed with a wooden
mallet. Then some cream (or milk), butter and flour is added, and perhaps
some raisins. (This is still a popular dish but chopped onion has replaced
the raisins). Another version from the book but now forgotten uses dried,
pounded fish, mixed with some mashed "yellow roots" (either carrots or
swedes).

Nanna