SC - cookbook info and sources (Florilegium)

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Jan 16 17:55:57 PST 1999

Phillipa exclaimed:
> My Lord,
> FABULOUS FEASTS is the ONLY book I have.  I[s] that why my feasts don't come
> out
> right & I don't like what I make?   Help!

Well, I know some cooks in this list have been investing in new cookbooks.
I, for one, have bought a number of new cookbooks covering period food since
I started reading this list. I have saved a number of the cookbook mentions
and reviews in files in my Stefan's Florilegium. These files might be useful
to look through:

In the FOOD section:
cookbooks-msg     (98K) 11/13/98    Reviews of cookbooks with medieval recipes.
                                       Messages posted before September 1995.
cookbooks2-msg    (96K) 11/13/98    Reviews posted between 9/95 and 11/97.
cookbooks3-msg    (61K) 11/13/98    Reviews posted after 11/97

cookbooks-SCA-msg (12K)  5/29/98    Cookbooks written by people in the SCA.
cb-novices-msg    (13K) 10/14/98    Cookbooks for those new to medieval cooking.
cb-rv-Apicius-msg (32K) 10/12/98    Reviews of cookbooks having Apicius recipes.

A few folks have posted bibliographies with their opinions on the worth and
usefulness of various cookbooks. Some of these are also available:
cooking-bib       (14K)  1/24/95    Bibliography on cooking sources.
cookbooks-bib     (32K)  4/21/97    Cookbook bibliography by Jaelle of Armida.
cookbooks2-bib    (14K) 10/ 3/97    Cookbook bibliography by Stephen Bloch.
cookbooks3-bib    (20K) 10/14/98    Cookbook bibliography by Lady Allison.

There are also a number of files with information about foods in certain
countries, sometimes including mentions of cookbooks. And this file reviews
various books about period food that are not cookbooks themselves:
books-food-msg    (29K)  5/12/98    Books about food. Not cookbooks.

This file in the COMMERCE section might help you find some good sources for
buying some of the books mentioned in these other files:
merch-books-msg   (21K)  9/16/98    Directory and reviews of book merchants.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at:
          http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html ****