SC - Frumenty Recipes

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Fri Jan 15 09:06:58 PST 1999

- --=====================_531243715==_.ALT

Hi all from Anne-Marie

Here's the version of frumenty I did for our BoonDay meal a few years back.
Check out _Serve it Forth_ if you want the whole article! We made it in
smallish batches up to the point where you put in the raw egg and put it in
sealed boiling bags (NOT ZIPLOCKS!). On site we got big pots of water boiling
and dropped the bags in. When the hard cold lumps became soft and pliable, the
egg was cooked and the stuff was hot through.

worked like a charm, though not period in method at all. We did this up the
hill from the event so no one would have their little medieval dream shattered
:). The food was carried down from the "kitchen" on big boards by burley
servers, just like a Brugel painting :).

Good luck!
- --AM

FRUMENTY (Diuersa Servicia #1, c1399)
For to make furmenty. Nym clene wete & bray it in a morter wel, that the holys
gon al of, & seyt yt til yt breste; & nym yt up & lat it kele. And nyum fayre
fresch broth & swete mylk of almandys or swete mylk of kyne and temper yt
al. &
nym the yolkys of eyryn & saffron & do thereto. Boyle it a lityl & set yt
adoun, & messe yt forthe wyth fat venysoun & fresch motoun.

1 cup pearl barley
2 3/4 cups Swanson's brand vegetable broth
1/4 cup whole milk
pinch saffron
2 egg yolks

Stir the barley into the boiling broth, along with the saffron. Cover the pan
with a tight fitting lid and cook over very low heat 30-50 minutes, until
grain
is tender. Stir in beaten egg yolks. Stir over very low heat for a few minutes
until the egg sets. Serve hot.
Serves 6 (1/2 cup cooked barley per person)

Reconstruction notes: The original text of the English recipe calls for wheat,
which is boiled until the hulls come off and grains swell and burst. There
is a
similar recipe in le Menagier de Paris that uses barley instead of wheat, as
well as a recipe for frumenty that specifies to "hull your wheat the same as
you would for hulled barley". Based on this, and the conceit of a French cook,
we chose to use hulled barley instead of wheat

- --=====================_531243715==_.ALT

Hi all from Anne-Marie<br>
Here's the version of frumenty I did for our BoonDay meal a few years
back. Check out _Serve it Forth_ if you want the whole article! We made
it in smallish batches up to the point where you put in the raw egg and
put it in sealed boiling bags (NOT ZIPLOCKS!). On site we got big pots of
water boiling and dropped the bags in. When the hard cold lumps became
soft and pliable, the egg was cooked and the stuff was hot through.<br>
worked like a charm, though not period in method at all. We did this up
the hill from the event so no one would have their little medieval dream
shattered :). The food was carried down from the "kitchen" on
big boards by burley servers, just like a Brugel painting :).<br>
Good luck!<br>
- --AM<br>
FRUMENTY (Diuersa Servicia #1, c1399)<br>
<i>For to make furmenty. Nym clene wete & bray it in a morter wel,
that the holys gon al of, & seyt yt til yt breste; & nym yt up
& lat it kele. And nyum fayre fresch broth & swete mylk of
almandys or swete mylk of kyne and temper yt al. & nym the yolkys of
eyryn & saffron & do thereto. Boyle it a lityl & set yt
adoun, & messe yt forthe wyth fat venysoun & fresch motoun.<br>
</i>1 cup pearl barley<br>
2 3/4 cups Swanson's brand vegetable broth<br>
1/4 cup whole milk<br>
pinch saffron<br>
2 egg yolks<br>
Stir the barley into the boiling broth, along with the saffron. Cover the
pan with a tight fitting lid and cook over very low heat 30-50 minutes,
until grain is tender. Stir in beaten egg yolks. Stir over very low heat
for a few minutes until the egg sets. Serve hot.<br>
Serves 6 (1/2 cup cooked barley per person)<br>
Reconstruction notes: The original text of the English recipe calls for
wheat, which is boiled until the hulls come off and grains swell and
burst. There is a similar recipe in <i>le Menagier de Paris</i> that uses
barley instead of wheat, as well as a recipe for frumenty that specifies
to "hull your wheat the same as you would for hulled barley".
Based on this, and the conceit of a French cook, we chose to use hulled
barley instead of wheat<br>