SC - Dignity and the Niemann-Marcus Cookie

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Jan 21 20:39:01 PST 1999

Hullo, the list!

Speaking purely as a concerned "civilian" list member, I'll get right to
the point (possibly a first for me...):

This thread is the second or third time in perhaps two weeks that
tempers on this list have flared a bit, not because there was a simple
disagreement or expression of impatience, but because that expression of
mild impatience was voiced so many times by so many different people.

Yeah, you can post something someone doesn't especially agree with or
like. It happens, but please, please, please, read everything in your
mailbox on a given subject before responding off the cuff. Yes, many
(most?) of us have seen the Niemann-Marcus cookie thing years ago. If it
was strictly necessary to post a debunking of the evident myth (and in
my opinion it wasn't), it certainly wasn't necessary to post essentially
the same debunking 27 times, nor 42 "shame-on-you" 's to the gentleman
expressing unpopular opinions on another issue, either. Surely each
person who posted a response, in each case, felt his views were unique
and worth posting, but a read through the entire thread might have
changed some of those opinions, decreased the traffic on this rather
busy list, and helped preserve the dignity of anyone who might have made
a minor error in judgement, an error probably best left ignored.

Now, opinionated loudmouth know-it-alls, well, like myself, for example,
deserve whatever they get, and believe me they _do_ get it (you should
see some of my private mail...sheesh!) but one of the things we, as a
considerate bunch, need to think about is the fact that some of us are
sensitive to criticism both real and perceived. It would be a really
good idea, I think, if we could consider carefully the cost in dignity
of those "me-too" 's.

 Okay, I'm getting dizzy from the rarified atmosphere on top of this
soapbox; I've said enough.

Thanks to all for your patience, indulgence, and attention.

Adamantius
Østgardr, East
- --
Phil & Susan Troy