SC - Breakfast

Ian van Tets IVANTETS at botzoo.uct.ac.za
Tue Jan 26 10:33:41 PST 1999

Hello the list!

Do you remember ages ago we had a thread on breakfasts?  Only now do
I find that I did have something that described a period breakfast:
apparently somewhere in Thomas Tusser (wife section, I think) there
is a reference to the provision of breakfast for farm workers, which
is apparently pottage and salt fish.  So my two questions are:

Does anyone have a copy of the reference, so I can see the actual
wording?  and

How do you think this was done?   At present my guess is a grain
pottage (put on the coals to cook the night before) and finely chopped
salt fish, rather like the Chinese congee and dried fish idea.

Any thoughts, please?

Cairistiona