SC - serrated knive blades

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Jan 27 04:09:14 PST 1999

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Consumer's Reports did a review of kitchen knives recently. I've been
> thinking of summarizing the article for this list, as we've had several
> discussions on knives previously. However, I remember only one brand
> name mentioned both here and in the review and it didn't fare very well.

_Must_ be the ten inch variety or all bets are off!!! ;  )

> Anyway, one of the things they said was that after their tests they
> saw very few situations where a serrated knife blade was a better choice
> than a non-serrated one.

I agree completely. Exceptions are the crisp skin of a roast (such as a
turkey), which a really, really sharp knife can get a bite into (and
which is a shame because a serrated knife then tears up the meat), and
most bread and pastry items, whose gluten tends to dull non-serrated
blades. Tomatoes are never an exception; if they give you trouble you
need to learn to sharpen a knife. Baguettes are a legendary knife-duller.

Adamantius (sitting back and waiting for feedback on this one!)
Østgardr, East
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com