SC - Drying chicken meat

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Wed Jan 27 07:19:52 PST 1999

In a message dated 1/27/99 1:46:06 AM Eastern Standard Time, stefan at texas.net
writes:

<< how would you use the food dehydrator to dry chicken for this? Just
 like what you do to make beef strips into beef jerky, without the
 seasoning? Do you shred or thin slice the chicken?

 Does it re-hydrate well in the soup? Or do they end up being tough, >>

When is was supervising the Mission Harvest program at St. Anthony's, we used
per-cooked chicken for this process. It was sliced  or diced and then laid on
the trays which went into the dehydrators. It rehydrated  pretty well and made
a nice addition of needed protien in the mission field. For the purpose of
soup making, pre-cooked meat was always our choice for drying. The recipients
of the packaged goods always had good words for this particular product. Beef,
pork, chicken and ground beef were a few of the meats we processed this way.
Using pre-cooked meat significantly reduced any potential bacterial infection
concerns and the drying and rehydration time is drastically reduced.

Ras