SC - Drying chicken meat

Wed Jan 27 07:47:52 PST 1999

> In a message dated 1/27/99 1:46:06 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> stefan at texas.net
> writes:
>
> << how would you use the food dehydrator to dry chicken for this? Just
>  like what you do to make beef strips into beef jerky, without the
>  seasoning? Do you shred or thin slice the chicken?
>
>  Does it re-hydrate well in the soup? Or do they end up being tough, >>
>
> For the purpose of
> soup making, pre-cooked meat was always our choice for drying. The
> recipients
> of the packaged goods always had good words for this particular product.
> Beef,
> pork, chicken and ground beef were a few of the meats we processed this
> way.
> Using pre-cooked meat significantly reduced any potential bacterial
> infection
> concerns and the drying and rehydration time is drastically reduced.
>
> Ras

As a point of interest, about 25 years ago a group of recreationists,
historians and history students re-enacted La Salle's descent of the
Mississippi.  Before starting they thoroughly researched the expedition and
tested modern equipment against period equipment to see where they would
have problems.

Apparently the common meal on the journey was a pottage of dried beef and
dried peas which was put on the fire immediately at the evening stop and
cooked while the voyageurs made camp.  The fare was monotonous, but it
travelled as well as any of the high tech foods and on a pound per pound
basis was more filling and nutritious than the modern trail foods.  The
chief drawback was the cooking time, but since they were following the
voyaguer regime of making camp before dark, it wasn't an issue.

Bear