SC - serrated knife blades

Micaylah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Wed Jan 27 17:14:54 PST 1999

>After having posted the following, I went and ran a bunch of errands,
>and have had time to reflect on what I wrote. I wouldn't want to be
>thought to be casting aspersions upon anybody's knife skills. I only
>meant that after most of a lifetime of growing real tomatoes, slicing
>them, slicing them for a living,  judging between good and bad tomatoes
>for a living, and using both serrated and non-serrated knives to slice
>them, I've come to what I regard as an informed conclusion that serrated
>knives aren't necessary for slicing tomatoes and other delicate foods,
>as long as your knife is sharp enough.

I agree. IMO a serrated knife (even a sharp one) tends to tear, crush and
rip through delicate matter such as tomatoes. Nothing beats a sharp knife
to slice through even the most delicate of foodstuffs.

Micaylah
- -who has one finger slightly different than the rest, from years of cutting
and chopping with a dull knife! Lesson learned.-

>The above claim is not intended as a criticism of anyone else, just a
>statement of fact regarding my own experience over a period of years,
>and I hope nobody regarded it as anything else.
>
>Philip & Susan Troy wrote:
>>
>> Mordonna22 at aol.com wrote:
>> >
>> > In a message dated 1/27/99 5:05:31 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
troy at asan.com

>> > You've obviously only tried to slice those pink plastic balls sold in
grocery
>> > stores labeled "tomatoes" that have no true relationship to real tomatoes
>> > grown in dirt in the sunshine.  A real tomato's skin is paper thin,
and only
>> > fleetingly connected to the delicate flesh beneath, which is bursting
with
>> > juices and soft and lovely.  Slicing with a straight edged knife leaves
>> > bruises, tears the skin, and crushes the flesh.
>>
>> Sorry, but I repeat:
>>
>> >  Tomatoes are never an exception; if they give you trouble you
>> >  need to learn to sharpen a knife.
>>
>> I've grown my own tomatoes, on and off, since I was about four. I know a
>> real tomato when I see one, and I know how hard they can be to slice
>> effectively. I also know how to sharpen a knife.
>>
>> Adamantius
>> --
>> Phil & Susan Troy
>>
>> troy at asan.com
>

>--
>Phil & Susan Troy
>
>troy at asan.com

If quitters never win, and winners never quit,
what fool came up with "Quit while you're ahead"?