SC - Roedd Groedd

Devra at aol.com Devra at aol.com
Wed Jan 27 15:41:35 PST 1999

His Immensity, Baron Sallamallah the Corpulent, formerly baron of the Canton
of Fennbrycg, has graciously given me his receipt for this dish.  He informs
me that it was derived from a "better" version given to him by Lady Arwen
Evain ferch Rhys ap Gwyneth. (I hope that I have spelt the lady's name
correctly.)

The original recipe called for some quantity of raspberry liquor, but since
many of the halls Fennbrycg used were so dessicated as to make a desert appear
lush, the alcohol was dropped.

This version, taken from the Canton of Fennbrycg's Feast of Simple Fare
Autocrat's Manual, serves approximately 180.  I am going to try dividing it by
18, and will report further on this.

                    ROEDD GROEDD MED FLOEDD

Ingredients

18 packages (1 lb each) frozen sweetened strawberries
18 packages (12 oz each) frozen sweetened raspberries
  9 pints heavy cream
18 lbs sour cream
  9 pints whipping cream
  1 gallon milk

Berries should be thawed but cold.  Mash the strawberries and raspberries.

Stir sour cream until smooth.  Add the heavy cream and whipping cream; mix
well.

Pour it over berry puree, stir, and thin as needed with milk.

NOTES:  I don't know where I'd get whipping cream as opposed to heavy cream;
   perhaps I'd just use heavy for all.

               The only sugar in this is included on the sweetened fruit by
the packager; you might like to add just a tiny bit.

               Any suggestions about when and how much liquor to use?

This is very rich and very delicious.

Devra the Baker
Poison Pen Press