SC - Perre in _Two Fifteenth Century_ says: Perre in _Two Fifteenth Century_ says:

LYN M PARKINSON allilyn at juno.com
Wed Jan 27 22:57:29 PST 1999

Thanks, Your Grace, that may be one I was thinking of.  I hadn't recalled
that recipe in the Miscellany.  Cindy doesn't have peas listed in the
index, which I always use instead of my Austin, because 1000 eggs is so
much easier to read.  Perre is there, but looks like it means 'pears' to
me.

I do see, now, that under Cretonee, you say to save the water in which
you cook the peas, for other soups.  In my old copy, 1987, you are still
putting peas and broth through the strainer for Perre.  I should always
look up your recipes first; I just like to do my own.  It's fun.

Possibly, there were uses for all forms, and the cooks of those time
would know which one.  If we read a modern recipe for meatloaf, and it
says "Tomatoes enrich the flavor" we use ketchup automatically, not
tomato soup.  (Now, we'll get 29 posts about grandmother's tomato soup
meatloaf!  ;-)  )

I did spend the afternoon with the web version of the Miscellany.  My
latest hardcopy is the 6 ed.   I hadn't realized how much you have
done--124 pps of recipes and index alone.  I'm in process of breaking it
up into smaller files (for my overloaded hard drive) and I will consult
them before I go re-inventing the wheel.

Regards,

Allison
allilyn at juno.com, Barony Marche of the Debatable Lands, Pittsburgh, PA
Kingdom of Aethelmearc