SC - new theory on pea broth

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Thu Jan 28 06:31:22 PST 1999

In a message dated 1/28/99 1:04:08 AM Eastern Standard Time, allilyn at juno.com
writes:

<<  you said once that
 pea beans are navy beans.  Do you use these as a substitute for white
 peas, ever? >>

No. Since they are New World that thought never really occured to me. However,
not a few legume/bean recipes could be prepared using either ingredient and
still produce a very tasty end product.

 <<We get some Goya products, but I'm not sure I've ever seen
 white peas. >>

The color is not intensely white like  Phaseolus species. It is more on the
greyish white side.

 <<How long do you cook them before straining, and do you have
 to remove husks with the hands, as per Forme of Cury's instructions? >>

Until they are done and fully cooked. I have not seen other recipes that say
to remove the contents from the skin exceptpossibly for the one you site
although I imagine they might exist. The skins are not 'inedible' and really
are not objectionable in the mouth. They are 'indigestable' and pass through
you though. When I need to remove the skins, I simple press the cooked peas
through a strainer. The skins stay behind and the pea mush goes through the
holes.

Would it be possible to post the original recipe you are referring to as I
don't have ny copy of Curye at hand. Is it possible he is referring to
removing the dry peas from their shells as opposed to their skins? I know that
a few fava recipes include this step.

So far as Goya products are concerned, I get my white peas at Giant. The
manager tells me that Goya is a 'difficult' company to deal with and not all
products ordered are delivered or even n available on a regular basis or in a
timely fashion. This may have something to do with unavailability in your
area. Dried white peas look like whole dried green peas but are almost white
and wrinkled.

Ras