SC - Grits - regional taste differences

snowfire at mail.snet.net snowfire at mail.snet.net
Sun Jan 31 10:09:27 PST 1999

- -Poster: Jean Holtom <Snowfire at mail.snet.net>

>When we lived in Connecticut I ordered grits at a restaurant, along with poached
>eggs (I know, I know, but I like poached eggs!) bacon and rye toast.  The grits
>were brought to me with butter and sugar and cream on the side long before the
>rest of my breakfast arrived.  They were instant grits and the waitress, cooks,
>et al were astounded I wanted hot grits with my meal...AND I put butter and salt
>on them!!!

Greetings M'lady,

I have lived in Connecticut for 9 years, and I used to work in a hospital where
they regularly served plain grits for breakfast (in the staff dining room).  I
also have seen them on several restaurant menus.

I'm wondering if perhaps you shocked the person who was serving you because
he/she would not have put butter and salt on the grits his/herself?  I think,
please correct me if I'm wrong, that is must be a function of where your family
originated from, and what has been passed down to you as "acceptable practice" by
your family "elders".

In New England, although today pretty cosmopolitan, was of course a predominantly
"English" culture in days gone by.  In England (and Wales) we eat our porridge
with sugar and milk.  In Scotland they eat it with salt.

Also regarding Iced Tea.  I've never been to a restaurant here in Connecticut
where it was not available year round!  Nor have I ever been given a pot of hot
water and a glass of ice!  I have had some trouble ordering tea with milk and
sugar in it though.  One time in Massachussets I was given a cup of hot tea and a
glass of milk by a very flustered waiter!

Incidentally, a lot of restaurants/tea rooms in Britain will serve a "pot" of tea
for however many there are at the table.  Usually this means they bring you a
teapot full of brewed tea, a matching pot of hot water (in case the tea is too
strong for you), and the sugar and milk.  One time several years ago in London, I
saw a very irrate American lady trying to explain to a waitress that she wanted
tea with only lemon, not milk and lemon (the waitress could not understand the
concept of tea with no milk!).

Elysant