SC - sausage questions

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sat Jan 2 20:32:15 PST 1999

In a message dated 1/2/99 9:53:06 PM Eastern Standard Time, stefan at texas.net
writes:

<< My question is, how do you get the internal temperature of the sausage
links?>>

I use one of the pocket thermometers, they are relatively inexpensive and very
handy when cooking for crowds. ;-)

<< If you pierce the sausage casings with a meat thermometer don't the insides
 start leaking out of the sausages, especially if the temperature is not there
 yet and you have to heat them some more? >>

Well...a careful reading of the ingredients list reveals eggs as an
ingredient. These, combined with the starches set up almost instantly when the
sausage goes into the hot liquid. In my initial try, I let the water get to
hot, and had one or two burst like an overcooked hotdog. I found that if you
carefully control the temperature of the liquid and do NOT let it raise above
the original suggested temperature bursting never occurs. After a few batches,
experience will guide you in the area of water temperature.

<<Will the casing be more susceptible to tearing after it has been pierced?>>

That was NOT my experience. The protiens in the casing harden instantly on
contact with the water. A small hole is all that the thermometer makes and I
had no experience with any filling leaking out of any of those that were
pierced.

<< And a similar question, if you cut the links apart, what keeps the sausage
 insides from spilling out the now open ends?>>

At this point they are entirely congealed and cooked so there is no longer
anything that can spill out. BTW, if you are thinking of recreating the
recipe, keep mind that I like highly seasoned food halving the amount of
seasoning will produce a milder and still tasty sausage.

 <<Thanks.
    Stefan >>

No problem.

Ras