SC - cooking chemistry questions

Daniel Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Sun Jan 3 09:06:33 PST 1999

Perhaps the bitterness you experienced came from the grated zest.  When I
process zest strips for canding I boil it in at least two changes of water.
This removed the bitterness associated with any of the white pith of which,
while I take great pains to remove it, some small amount always seems to
linger.   The candied zest tastes sublimely orange with no trace of
bitterness.