SC - Can Someone Explain This?

Robyn Probert robyn.probert at lawpoint.com.au
Tue Jan 5 07:24:41 PST 1999

At 22:46 04/01/1999 -0500, John wrote:

>Than take thin cofyns, & put in the ovynne lere, & lat hem ben hardyd,
>than take a dyssche y-fastenyd on the pelys ende; & pore thin comade
>in-to the dyssche, & fro the dyssche in-to the cofyns; & when they don
>a-ryse wel, take them out, & serve hem forth.
>
>What is the pelys end and how is the dish fastened?  Obviously, the dish
>is used in the process of transfering the liquid into the cofyn, but I
>can't visualize what it looks like from this description.  Any ideas?

John, I think this means "a dish fastened on the end of the pele", being the
long handled slice affair used to put bread, pies etc in and out of the
oven. In other words, fix a dish to the end of the pele; put the mix in this
dish, then open the oven and (using your new long handled dish) pour the mix
into the coffins/pie cases which are still in the oven. This means you don't
have to take them out of the oven, and you won't burn your arms either.

Rowan
Robyn Probert					Phone +61 2 9239 4999
Services Development Manager			Fax   +61 2 9221 8671
Customer Support Manager			15 Castlereagh St
Lawpoint Pty Limited				Sydney  NSW  AUSTRALIA