SC - Bread

Reia M. Chmielowski kareina at eagle.ptialaska.net
Mon Jan 4 22:59:07 PST 1999

At 17:03 1/4/99 , Morwenna wrote:
>Well the
>question is I know the amount of liquid total was correct but would the
>reversal ( ie boo boo) I made affect the overall taste/ consistency?
>The bread is great but I am curious if correcting the boo boo would make
>it better?  Is it six of one and half a dozen of the other?  Or does the
>original have 1 cp milk 1/4 water ratio for a reason?  Woul appreciate
>any thoughts ( my brain has been tossing this back and forth with no
>success all day)

The more milk you use the richer the final result.  As you have seen, one
can be frugal and use less milk and still get good results though.  One way
to "solve" the problem to using too much water in the future would be to
have powdered milk on hand to toss in...

Say, speakign of frugal, someone (I deleted the message) quoted an 1800's
cookbook as saying that 1/3 cup fo butter was plenty for a working man's
cake.  I'd be interested in seeing the recipie that went with that quote to
see what else they skimp on and what kind of result you get...

- --Kareina