SC - Re: Can Someone Explain This?

Gedney, Jeffrey gedje01 at mail.cai.com
Tue Jan 5 11:07:30 PST 1999

> > The idea of fastening the bowl to the handle was suggested by several
> > others.  I would argue that the bowl was fastened to the "shovel" end,
> > the wide blade.  Medieval ovens weren't as cramped as ours.  Nor were
	<snip>
> > And, if a plain handle were wanted, why wouldn't someone just say to
> > attach the bowl to a stick or handle, rather than affixing it to the
> > broader peel blade?
> >

> Uh, why wouldn't plain handles be available?  Why would the peel
> necessarily
> be wide-bladed?  A traditional baker has an assortment of hooks, handles,
> swabs, scrapers and peels available to remove ash, clean the oven, and
> handle various baking pans and shapes of bread.  Metal heads attached to
> wooden handles are fairly common.
	<snip>
Are we, perhaps, getting ahead of ourselves, a little?
Can we be sure that we are using the correct term?
Might not "pele" also be defined as "Pole"?
The would make a lot more sense.
Also the term Peel, as we use, might have derived form the use of a Pole to
move stuff around in an oven, and later a flat blade was attached, without
changing the name greatly, perhaps going through the etymology of "bredpele"
or "bakerspele" before being shortened to peel as we know it.
Where did the Robyn get the translation of "Pele" = bakers slice/peel?
Is this something other than an assumption? If it is a guess or assumed
translation, aren't we working ourselves into a frenzy over nothing?
If it is a literal and faithful translation, can we assume that they were
made just the way we are used to?
Let's look at some of the woodcuts Cindy has put up, and see what we can
see?
what the h**l is the URL fr those pictures, again?
perhaps the handles were so long that they could be used as poles.
I always have a lanyard on the peels I buy, perhaps this is what they were
using as a fastening site.
I think that we need more real info before we start chasing this rabbit down
the warrens of history.

Brandu