SC - That Dratted Peel and Bowl

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Wed Jan 6 05:49:58 PST 1999

Greetings.  I've (on and off) been puzzling over where the bowl would
have been attached to the peel and am tossing out the following.

1) If it were to be attached to just a handle, not the broad shovel
end, would not the instructions have said something like "take a broken
peel and attach..."?  Why bother to mention "pele" at all if it weren't
to be attached to the part that changed a stick to a peel?

2) My imagination senses that balance would be far better on the broad
shovel than on the more narrow handle. My modern peel's handle is about
2" wide.  Even with one some 3-4" wide (which would be hard to grasp in
one hand, if one did indeed use only one hand), a full bowl with
liquid, affixed to a handle some 3-4" wide, would tend to cause the
hand/arm to sway and possible tip over far more easily than if the bowl
were attached to a more stable shovel end.  Or am I imagining something
that isn't true?

3) Why do folk object to the bowl being (nailed?) to the broad end?
What is illogical about that?  Why do you assume it must be a broken
off handle??  Inquiring minds want to know.

Alys Katharine (Whee!  We have a snow day today!  I don't have to go to
work!)