SC - Re: Limes

grasse at mscd.edu grasse at mscd.edu
Wed Jan 6 07:03:56 PST 1999

Alys Katharine commented:
 He (Nostradamus?) also has
preserved limes.  OOOH!  I was told, when I did lime peels, that limes
were OOP.  This would seem to indicate that they weren't...

In "Ein Neue Kochbuch" (Marx Rumpolt, 1581) there is a section on sugared
items like from the apothecary.  I don't have the book with me, but I know
he lists (among MANY others) (I may be adulterating the spelling somewhat,
I am at work and Marx is safely at home under the tree...Thank you
Santa(s)!!!!!!!!)

Citron shel uberzogen
Limone shel uberzogen

I translate this as Lemon peel coated and Lime peel coated... at the end of
the listing he gives instruction for how to coat items if you choose to do
it yourself.  It basically involves immersing the items in melted sugar and
letting them absorb as much as they will.

Sounds like candied lime peel to me.  Now whether they used this as "candy"
or as "medicinal" I am not willing to state - I have not had time to read
all of Mr. Rumpolts fantastic tome.

Gwen-Cat
Caerthe
(Who has has probably just opened a can of worms, but at least there should
be no debate as to whether worms are period.)