SC - oop yorkshire pudding recipe needed!

Stapleton, Jeanne jstaplet at mail.law.du.edu
Wed Jan 6 08:25:05 PST 1999

On Wed, 6 Jan 1999, LYN M PARKINSON wrote:

> PS  After reading of the bitter orange/bread experiment I thought I might
> apply the answers to my bitter chicken tangerine stew, but mine was
> peeled.  But did I take the seeds out?  Hmmm....  Or perhaps it was the
> aluminum pan?  So, how come duck a l'orange is so yummy??!!  And chicken
> works with lemon, even lime, so....

Tangerines aren't really oranges- and I'm sure that someone out there has
the reference, etc. There is a distinct taste difference, and I suspect that
their acidity levels are different also. They occasionally are bitter
freshly peeled, so that might have something to do with it.
	Chicken in orange sauce is yummy, especially with nuts (I prefer
pecans, but walnuts will do) but my experience is that if you add bell
pepper it will turn bitter if you let it sit. What else did you put in your
stew?

	I would like to point out, humbly, that not *everyone*
	finds meat and fruit "yummy".  Yup, I know it's real
	period.  Yup, I know it's really nouvelle cuisine or
	haute cuisine or whatever it is.  I sample the dishes
	at feasts because I have no real objection to them
	(unless they *do* have nuts, to which I have a sensi-
	tivity), but I don't find especially chicken and fruit
	stuff that's too sweet to be "yummy".

	Not saying "stop cooking it for feasts", many people
	love meat and fruit dishes best, and there are so
	many nice period ones...I'm just remarking to remember
	that it's a subjective call, and to consider a savory
	dish once in a while, or at least one without fruit.
	(Morgana makes this incredible "Beffe in a Fyne Sauce"
	with lots of cinnamon and such in with chunks of beef
	and onions and such--I don't think it's truly period,
	but may be close timewise--that I can never get enough
	of when it's at a feast, and I know others who feel
	the same way, because the pot is always scraped clean.)

	I also get those 5lb. boxes of mandarins around the holidays, and if
any are left (ha! I have three adolescents in the house) I put them in
salad. Romaine, red grapes, chopped apple, mandarin sections, goat cheese
and a tangy vinagrette.... Nuts. Now I'm hungry and I didn't make it to the
grocery today.
	Enough goofing off. Back to dagging my houppelande sleeves.

'Lainie

	Now, *this* I can get into.  :-)  Anything where
	goat cheese is involved...

Berengaria