SC - Period pretzels- Better late than never...

Gryphon's Moon kimberly at gryphonsmoon.com
Fri Jan 8 13:13:58 PST 1999

>Morgan commented:
>
>> As it happened, someone else was selected, so the exercise was for naught.
>> (It did lead to period documentation for pretzels, in my wanderings,
>> however!).
>
>Could you please post this new documentation here? or send it to
>me? All I've seen was a brief discriptions of pretzels in a few period
>pictures that included street venders that was mentioned on this list
>earlier. If you've got more, especially any written description of what
>they were like or what was in them, it would be great!
>
>Thanks.
>  Stefan li Rous
>  stefan at texas.net

Look for "Hours of Catherine of Cleves", with an introduction and
commentaries by John Plummer. This little book is a gem. The illuminations
are gorgeous! The borders around several of the main figures are somewhat
unusual-- such as the border for Saint Bartholomew Apostle-- which is
composed of pretzels and biscuits. There's no way to tell what size the
pretzels would have been, because there is no way of telling what scale is
used. I also don't know if the pretzels were soft or crunchy. But they are
definitely pretzel shaped.

Other things that can be found in various other places in the book--
	-big fish eating small fish eating eels, including a picture of
fishooks
	-bows, crossbows, arrows and quivers
	-bird cages, including some used for training birds
	-coins
	-beehives
	-a rosary
	-a brick oven
	-paper gift boxes (the artist cleverly painted two of them folded,
but not complete, so you can actually figure out how to make these yourself)
	-and so forth and so on...

All the stuff I mentioned above is from the margins, which also contain
plenty of flowers, angels, demons, and other more typical decorations. The
main pictures themselves are also a rich source of ideas for neat things to
make.

The manuscript dates from approximately 1440.

Now, can anyone tell me how a Book of Hours was used?

- -Margritte

Gryphon's Moon - 14K Gold & Silver Celtic rings and more!
We now accept VISA & MasterCard to make your shopping easier!

Check out our web site at: <http://www.gryphonsmoon.com>
Or email us at <mailto:sales at gryphonsmoon.com>