SC - Period Scottish Source?

Acanthusbk at aol.com Acanthusbk at aol.com
Mon Jan 11 18:24:22 PST 1999

In a message dated 1/11/99 5:44:35 PM Central Standard Time, mermayde at juno.com
writes:

> >A Book of Historical Recipes by Sara Paston-Williams
>  >The National Trust of Scotland, 1995 ISBN 0-7078-0240-7;
>  >Posted by Paul Macgregor
>  >> >
>  >This book _is_ available from Amazon, BTW. I ordered a copy, but >there
>  wasn't much information available about it. We will see, eh?
>  >
>  >Adamantius
>
>  Please do let me know.

Sorry I'm piping up now, in the middle of this thread...the book you're
speaking of, Sara Paston-Williams' _Book of Historical Recipes_, is a nice
little book but not a source for period Scottish recipes. English, yes, Scots,
no. Actually published by the English National Trust.

The first known published Scottish cookbook was _Mrs. McLintock's Receipts_,
1736. Reprinted by Aberdeen Univ. Press in 1986 but now out of print. I'm not
aware of any collections of pre-1650 Scottish recipes, but Olive Geddes
_Laird's Kitchen_ contains a brief chapter on early 17th c. food preferences.

You might want to look at F. Marian McNeill's _Scots Kitchen_, 1929, available
in facsimile. McNeill cites sources for all recipes from 18th - 20th c.
cookbooks, earlier than this are identified as "old cottage recipe" or
"traditional". She gives very few "modern". Lots of good background info.

Amanda