SC - Murri

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Jan 15 18:43:30 PST 1999

david friedman wrote:

> Apparently soy sauce is made not only from soy beans but also from
> fermented grain--like murri, although murri uses barley.

Yes, soy sauce usually includes some grain in the starch conversion:
usually wheat, but Japanese varieties use a higher proportion of wheat
than Chinese ones. Or so I am told by my mother-in-law, in whom I have
exactly as much confidence as I do in Waverly Root or M.F.K. Fisher, at
least in such matters. On the other hand, my mother-in-law has actually
made soy sauce in China, so that's something, at least.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com