SC - Corned meat

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Jan 15 19:38:16 PST 1999

snowfire at mail.snet.net wrote:

> I wonder if anyone has heard of any other cultures with this type of
> traditional "mashed up together" combination dish?

Sorry, I forgot to mention:

English (as well as other countries') sailors used to eat a rather
widely despised dish called, if I remember it correctly, lobscouse,
which was a sort of hash of potatoes or ship's biscuit, added to salt
meat boiled to rags, and cooked until the liquid was absorbed. I'd have
to check on details, but that's my recollection of it.

Americans, on the other hand, many of them either Irish immigrants or
descendants of them, used to eat, and still do, red flannel hash, made
from the chopped leftovers of a New England Boiled Dinner, usually
consisting of corned beef, potatoes, cabbage, onions, and beets. Between
the corned beef and the beets, and, for all I know, the skins on red
Bliss potatoes, the dish is pretty darned red.

Then, of course, there's chop suey, which some call an American dish,
because Chinese immigrants cooked it while on railroad-building crews in
the nineteenth century. In actual fact, though, mixed sauteed
vegetables, with a gravy-like sauce and sometimes some meat, had been
eaten in China (and called chop suey) long before.

Adamantius
Østgardr, East
- --
Phil & Susan Troy