SC - Salsify-update and useful info

Daniel Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Sat Jan 16 07:08:42 PST 1999

My copy of "Larousse Gastronomique the Encyclopedia of Food, Wine and
Cookery" in English translation (Prosper Montagne, Crown Publishers, Inc. NY
1961 Library of Congress Cat. # 61-15788) says that what is called Salaify
is actually two plants the "...root of the plant of the Compositae family
which alone is entitled to it, but also for that of another plant on the
same family which botanically is called scorzonera."  The entry goes on to
say that the flesh of the roots of both plants are very similar in taste and
are prepared in exactly the same way.  The word Scorzonera comes from
Catalan "escorso" or in English viper as it was formerly believed to be a
specific against its bite.  The entry in my edition provides 11 recipes.
Copies of Larousse Gastronomique, at least in West Palm Beach, can often be
found in the book secions of charity thrift stores for about $5 or $6 if you
keep your eye out for it, about $20 in used book stores and over $75 new.

Daniel Raoul Le Vascon du Navarre'