SC - reviews of cookbooks

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Jan 16 19:24:00 PST 1999

Allison said:
> M. Christiana writes:  >> Check out Stephan's Florilegium for discussion
> on LOTS of other really good sources.  I also believe he has a section of
> cookbook reviews, so you can get an idea of what the SCA cooks at large
> think of various volumes.  <<
>
> Actually,  I just went through those, this week.  Including my own.  We
> aren't doing a good job with these, folks!  We've got lots of books
> listed, and some say recommended, some don't, but we don't really review
> them as we ought for the beginners or bookstore-deprived.  When we have
> the time, let's do better reviews and send them to Stefan.

Well, I really doubt I could get a concenus from this group on which
are a set of recommended cookbooks and which are not. The recent
comments on "Fabulous Feasts" being one example. And I doubt I am
good enough to make that decision myself. I simply try to provide a
selection of opinions and let the reader decide.

If folks want to send me reviews of individual books or groups of books,
I will certainly consider adding such reviews to the Florilegium, either
as seperate articles or as messages to be added to various message files.

I like to get articles for the Florilegium, although I'm afraid I am
competing against a number of good journals such as "Serve It Forth" for
these. I will hold articles until they are published in such journals
if the author requests it.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at: