SC - is this a food term?

snowfire at mail.snet.net snowfire at mail.snet.net
Mon Jan 18 20:17:53 PST 1999

- -Poster: Jean Holtom <Snowfire at mail.snet.net>

> I've looked up *faggots* in the dictionary and my few other meager food
>sources and I cannot find this term as related to food.  Does anybody know
>what faggots means in terms of food?

Absolutely!

They are large meatballs made from minced liver onions and spices.  Usually
baked, together with a rich gravy, and are individually wrapped in an "apron"
or the "omentum" (?sp) (- i.e. the transparent layer that covers the
intestines of the animal) to cook because they are very tender and apt to
fall apart.  The omentum is removed gently befoe serving.

They are quite delicious!

I have a recipe...

Yes/no?

(this recipe (strangely) doesn't use "aprons".

BTW In Britain they are usually served as an entree with mushy or processed
peas, and are a quite popular "pub" dish - "Faggots and Peas"

Elysant