SC - is this a food term?

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Tue Jan 19 00:48:47 PST 1999

- -----Original Message-----
From: Seton1355 at aol.com <Seton1355 at aol.com>
To: sca-cooks-digest at Ansteorra.ORG <sca-cooks-digest at Ansteorra.ORG>
Date: 19. janúar 1999 03:55
Subject: SC - is this a food term?

>The following is a portion of a letter from a Tudor newsgroup I belong to.
>
>> In a "man"ner of speaking, it certainly gives "body" to any meal. " Human
>>  beans" are always delicious with faggots, aren't they?
>>
> I've looked up *faggots* in the dictionary and my few other meager food
>sources and I cannot find this term as related to food.  Does anybody know
>what faggots means in terms of food?

"Faggots are traditional British product of the pig. The animal´s liver,
lights, heart, and spleen are minced up, mixed with belly of pork, onion,
and usually breadcrumbs, moulded into billiard-ball shapes (covered
preferably with pig´s caul fat) and then braised in stock ... In recent
times faggots have had an image problem ... A few firms (particularly in the
West Country, a traditional pig area) continue bravely to market them,
although one cannot have helped its cause in the 1970s with an advertising
campaign based on the slogan "Surprise your husband with a faggot!"
(from The Gourmet´s Guide by John Ayto)

French gayettes and Polish kromeskis are not that different.

Nanna