SC - Elizabeth I -- Masque at Hatfield

Tipperith tipperith at excite.com
Wed Jan 20 18:22:14 PST 1999

Hi guys!

My husband and I are reading Susan Watkins new book "In Public and in
Private, Elizabeth I and Her World". There is a quote about a masque that
Sir Thomas Pope arranged for Elizabeth, while she was his ward. The quote:

"During the evening in the hall, the company enjoyed a banquet of seventy
dishes, and 'after, a voidee of spices and subtleties, with 30 plates'." (I
believe the writer is quoting Sir Thomas.)

What is a 'voidee of spices and subtleties'?

What about the comment about 'with 30 plates'?

The text immediately before and after provide no clues.

Can't wait to hear your thoughts!
Tipperith