SC - Re: HERB - Tobacco and other Smoking Herbs

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Jan 20 21:28:43 PST 1999

Jasmine de Cordoba replied to an inquiry on the Herb list which I think
was in response to my mentioning a message in my smoking-msg file:

> At 11:50 AM -0500 1/19/99, Christine A Seelye-King wrote:
> >Ok, here's a question for the Herb List, anyone heard of "Tussilinge"?
>
> Which was in response to Jran-Baptiste de Foix's SCA-Cooks comment:
> >> I once got to smoke a herb called "Tussilinge" the person who let me
> >> smoke it says the Romans smoke it. and this person has done a
> >>master's thesis in history about herbal uses in the Antiquity.
>
> Just on a whim, I've looked up some of the etymology of "tussilinge."
> No web search results in any more than the Floreligium
> commentary on it.
>
> Based on the middle english word "tussillen" and the "linge" of
> the name, it could be, on my undereducated guess, Heather or
> Calluna vulgaris. Looking up the words "touse," "ling," and
> "tussillen" and perhaps "zirzuson" in a real dictionary might
> yield better results.

Thank you for this input. I will add it to the smoking-msg file in
the Florilegium. Please let me know if you find out anything more.

Folks, I am not an expert in most of the stuff I put in the Florilegium.
While I do attempt some initial screening as to what I think is worth
getting included, it is difficult for be to verify many things and my
time for doing such is sorely limited. If you ever see items in the
Florilegium that you think are wrong or need to be elaborated on, please
send me email. Most often I will add your message to what is there and
let the reader make the final decision, so a file-ready message and
permission to use it is preferred.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at: