SC - Re: Feast Service

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Thu Jan 21 15:40:39 PST 1999

Christianna wrote:

>Dinner, having settled at about 7, underwent a change too.
>Since medival times the courses of an English dinner had been spread
>out on the table, all the dishes of one course at the same time.  Some
>old charts of table setting suggest that the dishes, called 'removes',
^^^^^^^^^^^^  (emphasis mine)
> near the ends of the table could be replaced, but the others were
>stationed there until the course ended.

I would more readily trust the book _Appetite and the Eye_, edited by
C. Anne Wilson which is also more recent, than _Seven Hundred Years of
English Cooking_.  Wilson's book documents the origin of the term
"remove" which is indeed from an old chart, dating from roughly 1695 or
1700.  It is difficult to tell from the paragraph quoted whether the
term "remove" should go with medieval times in the previous sentence,
or is some unspecified "old".  That particular chapter goes on to show
how the serving of food changed to what we know today.

No comments right now on the remainder of the post except to say that
Christianna seems to be correct in saying that we serve food in a more
modern style, rather than medieval.  And then, how did the medieval
service change into Elizabethan?  How was it done in France?  Italy?

Alys K.